Monday, December 16, 2013

At night I think of You (publishing and plot)*

As I sit here looking at the clock and my fingers type as fast as they can trying to get my thoughts out before they get all jumbled in there with the rest of them the time is 4:34 AM Monday morning. Why am I not asleep with thoughts of Adrian Ivashkov dancing in my head you may ask. Or maybe not but I'm going to tell you anyway.

I was on youtube,tumblr and blogspot all that same time as I seem to do with most things ( I like to call it multitasking but really I just have the attention span of a three year old :) ) and I decided to look up some information on e-publishing. Specifically this Author by the name of Amanda Hocking. You may have heard of her you know the self made millionaire who started off selling her books herself through Amazon and other self-publishing platforms.

This in turn lead me to thinking about my own stories. I have heard many authors give the advice to younger authors to work on fleshing out one story at a time and making it the best you can. Me I have about 5 stories going at the same time. All different.All needed different lengths. So then I got to thinking about how would I go about self-publishing something of my own. One of the books that I have been working on is a High Fantasy staring a female protagonist. This book will most likely take about 90,000-100,000 pages to tell. It will of course have to be revised and re-written until I am as satisfied with it I can get without a full rewrite.This is not the type of story that you would see on self-publishing platforms and if you did it wouldn't make as much money for you to live on. It just takes way to much time. Not only do you have to worry about your content but your marketing and cover and formatting for e-book as well. You have to decide if when and where your going to spend your outta pocket money if at all. A book like this is better left to the professional publishers.

Another book that I am working on his Apocalyptic it is fast paced, drama packed and has potential for sequels. This would work a lot better in the self publishing e-book format because it will be entertaining and have a faster turn over rate . Not to mention you will already have a fan base from the first book for the next one and the books can come out faster .

I'll wrap this up by saying that I may try both e-publishing and traditional . Updates to come .

*Originally published at whitneychakara.livejournal.com 

2 comments:

  1. 90,000-100,000 pages to tell? A typo, I assume. But I love your other typo about '...potential for squeals.' So much more interesting than 'sequels'.
    JTS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL this is what happens when you type with no coffee. :)
      The 90-100 thousand wasn't a typo I'm thinking it will be an Epic Fantasy.

      Delete